Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Meet Harriet

So we have this bird... not on purpose, like a pet, but she is becoming a part of our family. Who is this bird? Why let me introduce her! Her name is Harriet.  She is a blue bird who had decided that she would like to spend all waking hours of the past 4 days pecking/flying into our kitchen window.  Why? I don't know.  If any of you would like to let me know why I would be very appreciative!

Here's a clip of our friend Harriet



I have done a little research on why such behavior could be happening and this is what I have come up with:
1. She is seeing her reflection and defending herself against what she thinks is another "bird".
2. She is trying to tell me she needs help with her nest because something is wrong.


I have explored the first option and found it to be false.  She can clearly see me in the window as we stare into each other's eyes in bewilderment.  So I must think it is for the second reason.  Here is my problem.  I do not know where her nest is, or what possibly is endangering it. So we are left with Harriet tapping on our window.  How long will this continue? Who knows... but the girls find her interesting!


1 comment:

  1. We had this... with a robin... we figured it was because the robin could see the trees in the reflection... and was trying to go to THAT tree... Its fixed by putting up a couple paper-plates taped to the window. Harriet will then be a happy bird in the woods.

    ReplyDelete